Pilates Matwork is the foundation of the Pilates method, where the body works its own weight against gravity. Small auxiliary equipment like balls and thera-bands can be used to enhance the training. Pilates Matwork is taught in small groups of up to 9 participants. The number of students is kept small on purpose, to ensure that individual care and attention can be provided. However, a Matwork class also gathers momentum from the dynamic sequencing of exercises and is therefore not as suitable for acute injury recovery, as working with the Pilate equipment. If you are pregnant, you should get your doctor’s permission, before attending the class.
Pilates Matwork is a challenging training program for gaining strength and flexibility.
It is particularly helpful for:
- The recruitment and strengthening of the deep core muscles and back stabilizers
- The stabilisation of the shoulder girdle and upper back
- The development of long and lean muscles
- The gentle mobilisation of spine, hip and shoulders • Better body awareness and posture
- Improved breath control
- The return to free-flowing, whole body movement
Pilates Matwork classes take place on mondays at 20.30 hours (all levels), tuesdays at 18.30 hours (intermediate level) and 19.30 hours (all levels), wednesdays at 09.00 am (intermediate level), thursdays at 18.30 hours (all levels) and saturdays at 09.30 hours (all levels). Classes can be booked online.
“A few well-designed movements, properly performed in a balanced sequence, are worth hours of doing sloppy training or forced contortions.” Joseph Pilates